Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies


Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)
When the trees on my street shed their leaves, I go digging for pureed pumpkin. I usually find a can or two stacked near the cannellini beans that I have ignored in my cupboard. But the brisk air and jack-o-laterns scowling from stoops help to refocus my attention. Pumpkin pairs perfectly with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger ,and other warm spices. So I perfume the squash with the aromatics at every chance I get.

Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)

This year, I started my pumpkin marathon with Matt Lewis's recipe for Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Cream-Cheese Filling. It calls for oil, which helps to produce pillow soft cakes. I recommend reducing the cloves to 3/4 of a tablespoon. A whole tablespoon leaves an unpleasant bite. Also, if you can, chill the pumpkin puree before adding it to the batter as it keeps the cakes from spreading when baked.

Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)

I browned (and cooled) the butter for the cream-cheese filling, which adds a warm, nutty flavor.

Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)
Be sure to beat the butter thoroughly, and sift the powdered sugar to keep the filling free of lumps (and bumps). Also, blend in the powdered sugar in several batches.

Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)
Advance purchase required!
Book your Chicago Food Tour today!
buy tickets at zerve
or call Zerve at (800) 979-3370

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!