Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cardamom Cutout Cookies

LinkSusan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)


When I was four, our family traveled to
Thunder Bay to visit the Raos. Just before dusk, I managed to get lost in their subdivision. A neighbor heard me whimpering to a cat that was sprawled out in her driveway. I had thick black hair and a tiny gold bangle encircling each wrist. She assumed I was related to the Raos who were the only Indians on the block. To test her theory, she asked what I liked to eat. Instead of curry, I responded with “Cookies and eggs.” (Cookie Monster was my favorite Sesame Street character. I fantasized about hosting the shaggy blue puppet in our home.)


Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)

Thankfully, she phoned the Raos anyway.

Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)
Fast forward more years than I care to admit, and cookies are still among the foods I cherish the most. (And, for me, "Mmmmm cookie!" Monster continues to be one of the loveliest beings on television.)

Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011) 

When fall begins, I like to make cookies with pureed pumpkin, cinnamon and other warm spices. I also begin baking cutout cookies - a hobby that lasts through the new year.

Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)


My favorite recipe for sugar cookies calls for a teaspoon of ground cardamom and a quarter cup of honey. If that sounds enticing to you, bake up a batch.

Susan Pachikara (COPYRIGHT 2011)
Advance purchase required!
Book your Chicago Food Tour today!
buy tickets at zerve
or call Zerve at (800) 979-3370

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!